Aims and objectives
The aims of ICAR are to promote the development and improvement of animal identification, performance recording and evaluation in farm animal production.
Such objectives are achieved through the establishment of definitions and guidelines for measuring characteristics of economic importance.
Aims and objectives
The aim of ICAR is to promote the development and improvement of the activities of identification, performance recording and the evaluation of farm livestock. We achieve this through the following:
- ICAR establishes rules and standards, specific for the purpose of
- identifying animals, the registration of their parentage, recording their performance, evaluating their genetics, and publication of such.
- identifying characteristics of production systems and their bearing on animal health, care, productivity, food safety and the environment.
- Promoting discussion and collaboration in all activities having to do with animal performance recording and evaluation and recording and evaluation of characteristics of production systems within and among international organisations, public authorities and industry.
- Encouraging the use of animal records for the purpose of assessing the value of animals and farm management systems, given that both aspects have a bearing on the profitability of animal production.
- ICAR provides a platform for cooperation and collaboration in all activities related to animal performance recording and evaluation within and among international organisations, public authorities and industry service providers.
- It encourages the use of performance recording data for the purpose of assessing the value on the profitability of animal production.
- It facilitates the interpretation of findings at the practical level by publishing reports showing the results obtained through the application of performance recording and evaluation methods.