Steps to submit a milk recording & sampling device for ICAR testing
The devices used for the purposes of official milk recording must be ICAR-certified, based on Section 11 of the ICAR Guidelines which details the rules, standards and recommendations for testing, certification and periodic checking of a milk recording and sampling device. The full text of Section 11 of the ICAR Guidelines may be found here.
A summary of the procedures to be followed to obtain ICAR certification for a milk recording and sampling device are:
- The applicant must send a test application form to ICAR secretariat. The application form may be found here.A complete application includes:
- Recording and sampling device name, combination of devices and/or device software/firmware. The name of the meter, sampler, and controller should be included. In addition, additional ‘brand’ names which the devices are marketed or sold in various countries should be listed for reference.
- Purpose or use on farm.
- Specie(s)(i.e. cattle, buffalo, sheep and/or goats).
- Mounting position or use (i.e. low-line, high-line, AMS, stanchion barns, swing-over).
- Test type requested (i.e. full test, modified test, website update).
- Technical characteristics, drawings and photograph(s) of device. For those devices that are a modification of a device with existing ICAR-certification, a technical summary of the changes should be included.
- Technical manual outlining functional metering and sampling processes and principles as well as software/firmware documentation.
- Installation procedure.
- Routine test or periodic check procedures for service technicians.
- Operational manual for the farmer.
- The Chair of the Sub-Committee for Recording and Sampling Devices will establish the test procedure(s) and select the ICAR test centre to perform the test.
- Service-ICAR will ask the test centre to prepare the test plan proposal including time schedule and costs.
- Service-ICAR will issue a formal contract and the test plan to the applicant with an invoice for the test fees.
- The test starts after the contract is signed and the test fees are paid in full.
- On completion of the test, the test report is sent to Service-ICAR.
- Service-ICAR circulates the report to Sub-Committee members for review, comments and certification recommendation.
- Service-ICAR will send the report to the test applicant and, if successful, notification of certification accompanied with an official ICAR certificate.
- The certified device will be added to the relevant ICAR webpage.
- The applicant must tag all the ICAR-certified devices supplied to the market with a non-removable label issued by ICAR. Label orders should be addressed to email@example.com
The above is meant to be an overview, however the complete recording and sampling devices Guidelines Section 11, should be reviewed for all details. For technical information please contact Mr. Steven Sievert, Chair, ICAR Recording and Sampling Devices Sub-Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 608 444 1285.
Your ICAR secretariat contacts are:
Tel.: +39 06 85 237 212
Contracts and payments:
Tel. +39 06 85 237 231